[Babel-users] RTT-aware branch of Babel

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste.jonglez at ens-lyon.fr
Fri Jun 21 13:52:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 03:23:28PM -0700, Dave Taht wrote:
> Is there a way to extract the RTT from the babel monitoring ability?
> or some other means (sounds like a wireshark decoder is in order)

Sure, the averaged RTT is available both on the local interface and on
the dump generated by babeld (when a SIGUSR1 is received).

If you want access to RTT samples, you can use the debug flag ("-d 2").
I suggest to grep for the string "RTT" in this case.

There is indeed a tcpdump decoder for Babel (thanks to Pilot), but it
does not yet know about this extension.  I'll probably implement it at
some point.

> one side effect of fq_codel I'm aware of is that the first packet in a
> stream will tend to be delivered faster than the second and
> succeeding, due to the "sparse stream" optimization.

Does it apply to multicast packets?