[Babel-users] RTT-aware branch of Babel

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 18:20:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Henning Rogge <hrogge at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Henning Rogge <hrogge at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> At the lowest timescale possible on a given link you are
>> either at capacity 1 or 0.
>
> Same problem for packetloss based metrics in mesh networks. They are
> awful to measure unless a link has lots of traffic (or you generate
> lots of probing traffic).
>
>> I need to get around to monitoring packet drops better via mrtg in
>> particular and add some more instrumentation to the kernel as to when
>> and why they happen...
>
> The mac80211 driver gives you at least some statistics on how much
> traffic dropped (and on some wifi drivers how many retransmissions
> happened).

I would like to get packet drop statistics at every level in the stack
unified and presentable in a reasonable format. Toke has done some
preliminary work in this area, but much more remains.

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/bloat-devel/2013-June/000436.html

Felix has made minstrel stats more mildly accessible inside the kernel
as well, but much work remains there too. The current sysfs method is
cumbersome....

>> And I keep wondering about what traffic on wifi "really" looks like in
>> relation to this wonderful, old, paper, that has embedded itself in
>> many a conciousness...
>
> I would say it looks very chaotic.

I would say it should be measured. Extrapolating from 1980s ethernet
behavior to today is quite a jump. I got a ton of captures from the
gathering a few months ago that may be useful.

One thing I should note for those using present barrier breaker is the
default fq_codel quantum of 300 probably has bad scaling properties
for a set of "many" wifi nodes, and that (until we have per station
queuing and a few other mods in the (sadly unfunded) pipeline) a
different filter should be used to sort on destination mac address
rather than the five-tuple, with a larger quantum (4500?). The present
setting works pretty well on small networks but...

> Its the bane of every routing metric in a mesh... how to get the
> metric both stable enough to be useful and fast enough to be useful.

I tend to view the problem underneath - getting good statistics - as
crucial to getting to where a metric could work. Certainly minstrel -
on a link that is active - provides a set of potentially very useful
passive measurements (and was recently made the default rate control
in linux) - passive measurements that can be made more active if
needed.

but certainly RTT and loss isn't bad, and is more generic and flexible
than tying things to minstrel... A bad link today - on unicast - can
exhibit seconds of latency when you factor in rates and retries. A
problem is that multicast doesn't really behave like unicast does,
anymore, in wifi, which is kind of something I hinted at earlier today
in another message.