[Babel-users] ANNOUNCE: babeld-1.4.0

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri May 3 18:07:29 UTC 2013

Dear all,

It's been over five months in the making, but I'm happy to announce that
babeld-1.4.0 is available from

  http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/files/babeld-1.4.0.tar.gz
  http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/files/babeld-1.4.0.tar.gz.asc

For more information about the Babel routing protocol, please see

  http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/babel/

The main news in version 1.4.0 is an all new hysteresis algorithm, that
slows convergence a little bit but dramatically reduces the amount of
route flapping.  In redundant networks, the new algorithm does not cause
any noticeable slowdown; in poor networks, it might cause up to
4 seconds delay in switching to a new route when the old route is lost.
While this algorithm has received a fair amount of testing, I'm still
very much interested in any success or failure reports.  You can disable
the hysteresis algorithm by passing the flag "-M0" to babeld on the
command line.

Other news include some changes to the local interface, which is now
more easily parsed by scripts and accepts multiple simultaneous
connections, as well as some code to detect BATMAN interfaces and treat
them as wireless.  There's also a new flag "-r" that might be
interesting if you have no persistent storage on your nodes.

Thanks to all that helped develop this version, and especially the poor
testers who had to bear with my ranting as I struggled with explaining
the hysteresis algorithm to myself.

-- Juliusz

3 May 2013: babeld-1.4.0

  * Change the route selection algorithm to used a smoothed metric in
    addition to the "real" metric.  This reduces the amount of route
    flapping without any special case hacks.
  * New flag -r, use a random router-id.  This avoids temporarily
    unreachable nodes after a reboot when persistent storage is not
    available.
  * INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: the local interface now announces the local
    hostname, and marks the end of the initial route dump.  (Thanks to
    Gabriel Kerneis.)
  * The local interface is now able to accept multiple simultaneous
    connections.
  * Detect BATMAN interfaces, don't assume they are wired.