[Babel-users] Babeld and Quagga-RE [was: atomic updates...]

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun May 5 15:35:18 UTC 2013

> Can I ask what is the current situation with babeld and in
> Quagga-RE ? At first I thought code would just go from babeld to
> Quagga-RE, but clearly it is not a one way street. Because for
> example Quagga-RE has authentication and babeld does not.

You must realise that Babel is a research project -- our job is to
experiment with new ideas, not to provide a production implementation.
Any work on the latter is something that happens in our copious free
time (you'll notice that most Babel releases happen on week-ends).

Now the current situation is that Matthieu and I prefer working in
babeld, while Denis is more comfortable with Quagga.  So our work ends
up in babeld, his work ends up in Quagga-RE.

> When code is commited for babeld how does that end up in Quagga-RE ?
> And when people add code to Quagga-RE how does that end up in babeld ?

There's unfortunately nobody merging code between the two
implementations right now.  I really should take a few days to merge
Denis' outstanding work into babeld; however, it might be more useful
to write a from-scratch implementation from the Internet-Draft, just
to make sure that's precise enough.  Unfortunately, free days have
been in short supply lately.

As to merging in the other direction -- it really should be done by
somebody who's running Quagga's Babel daily.  (We used to do that, but
the old edge router has been retired, and the new one is not speaking
RIPng, so we're running plain babeld on it.)