[Babel-users] atomic updates and ipv6 cache flushing issues

Robert Bradley robert.bradley1 at gmail.com
Sun May 5 17:53:50 UTC 2013

On 05/05/13 16:59, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>> Robert bradley has been working on making atomic route updates work
>> and possibly better route cache flushing.
> [...]
>> get the patchset from: git://github.com/rb12345/babeld.git
> While it hasn't rained yet, I've looked at the code.
>
> 1. The commit "Atomic route modification in kernel_netlink" contains
> both the atomic route modification code and code for flushing the
> routing cache.  I'd like the two to be separated.  (I can do that if
> you want, Robert, and leave your name as the original author of the
> commit.)

Yes, that's fine.  I think that the cache-flushing part may not be
needed anyway.

> 4. Is the cache flushing still needed with Baptiste's patch?  I'd
> rather not be tweaking /proc files at runtime.
>
> -- Juliusz

I think the cache flushing is a misunderstanding on my part.  I added
the cache flushing since http://linux-ip.net/html/linux-ip.html and
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.html appeared to imply it might be
needed after local route updates.  Looking at the iproute2 manpages
closely though, it appears that it is only needed if source-policy rules
("ip rule" equivalents) are involved.  Without source-policy rules,
cache flushing looks to be completely unnecessary.

The only interaction between this and Baptiste's patch is that the
emptier caches mean it has fewer routes to filter out.

--
Robert Bradley