[Babel-users] ad-hoc networks behave like mesh using babel?

Harshal Vora harshal at amideeptech.com
Wed Jan 8 11:13:17 UTC 2014

Hi Matthieu, Thanks for the reply.
My reply inline.

On Wednesday 08 January 2014 04:11 PM, Matthieu Boutier wrote:
>> But on few occasions, it inserts negative routes with Flag set to !H and metric set to -1 for hosts which are in direct range of each other.
> I don't know what is "!", perhaps "unreachable". This seems (for the moment) quite normal : you're moving, so the metric changes (it will increase at some point), and at some point, you will be out of feasible routes. Babel then must consider that the node has failed, and set the route as unreachable to avoid some routing loops. It is well explained in the 2.8 paragraph of the RFC :
> 	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6126.txt

        ! is "Reject Route" as mentioned here.
        http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?route+8
        I agree with you that if the route is unreachable then babel
        must consider that the node has failed.
        But this happened even when the hosts were kept stationary near
        to each other.

        The RFC mentions

        *the time for which such a route
            must be maintained should be the worst-case propagation time of the
            retraction of the route to C.*

        Is there any value for this then I can  try waiting for so long the next time

>> These negative routes remain persistent until i restart babeld and sometimes until i reboot the host.
>> Shouldn't it be auto-corrected?
> It should. How many time before reboot ?

        I waited for approximately 2-3 minutes before reboot. In the
        mean time I was restarting babeld
        Also I enabled level 3 logs for babeld. I could see requests
        coming in from the hosts for which there were unreachable routes.

>> Is there any way to fix this?
> What version (or commit) are you using ? Which OS ?

        This happened in two different hosts (Both arm processors,
        babeld   v. 1.3.1-1 from apt-get)
        1) Hackberry
                         kernel: linux-sunxi-v3.4.24-r1
                         OS: Ubuntu 12.10  --
        |http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/releases/12.10/release/ubuntu-core-12.10-core-armhf.tar.gz|

        2) Raspberry pi Model B
                 Kernel: rasppi_linux_rpi-3.6.y
                 OS: raspbian

>> Also, is it possible to redistribute routes added with proto kernel or boot?
> Yes. Proto boot is avoided by default, so you must add a configuration line, as :
> 	redistribute proto 3 allow

        I will give it a try. Thanks.
         From the file /etc/iproute2/rt_protos

        2       kernel
        3       boot
        4       static

        Thus I assume 3 will enable routes enabled by boot protocol

> Best regards,
> Matthieu

Regards,