[Babel-users] setsockopt(IPV6_JOIN_GROUP): Cannot allocate memory

Julien Muchembled jm at jmuchemb.eu
Fri Jan 31 19:39:43 UTC 2014

Le 01/31/14 20:14, Baptiste Jonglez a écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:31:05PM +0100, Julien Muchembled wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Many (all ?) nodes of our network have babel logs full of the following lines:
>> setsockopt(IPV6_JOIN_GROUP): Cannot allocate memory
>> setsockopt(IPV6_LEAVE_GROUP): Cannot assign requested address
>
> The kernel has a limit on how much memory each socket may allocate.  Have
> a look at the "net.core.optmem_max" sysctl tunable.
>
> According to Documentation/sysctl/net.txt:
>
>    optmem_max
>    ----------
>    Maximum ancillary buffer size allowed per socket. Ancillary data is a
>    sequence of struct cmsghdr structures with appended data.
>

> As far as I understand, it's only used for socket options, not for the
> actual buffers of the socket.  Looking at various computers around, a
> common value seems to be 20480, while OpenWRT sets this parameter to
> 10240.

At least, knowing that would help me a lot if I try to debug.
Indeed, I have 20480. I guess the value is in bytes.

> I'm not sure why babeld is hitting this limit (high number of
> neighbours?), but you may want to increase it and see if it helps.

I increased to 32768 on 2 machines and babeld stops complaining but I don't think this is a solution.
Most of our nodes don't have more than 20 neighbours and the errors only happen after running for a long time.
IOW, I suspect a leak somewhere.