[Babel-users] fun with babeld, and tools for measuring ETX for Babel meshes

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed Jul 2 13:54:55 UTC 2014

Henning Rogge <hrogge at gmail.com> wrote:
    >>> The best would be to get the RX power right from the radio.  Does babel
    >>> currently get any info that way?
    >>
    >> No.  Contrary to pretty much everyone's intuition, RSSI is not a good
    >> predictor of packet loss.

    > Yes...

    > RSSI is a good indicator in mobile scenarios that something changed,
    > but not what kind of change to expect.

I'm looking at fixed wireless, not mobile.

I'm moving only because I'm trying to determine where to put the repeaters.

After revieweing the screenshots, I realized that we did indeed lose signal
around the spot that I anticipated we would, as MTR shows packet loss by
highlighting the hop where it dies, but my assistant did not know that.
So we might do it again after a call I have in 5 minutes.

BabelWeb seems to be node.js... is that gonna fit on an NetGear3800?

    >> Now the kernel is already measuring stuff in order to choose a rate.  The
    >> current plan is to ask the gentle kernel for its conclusions, and pick
    >> a metric based on that (idea due to Dave).  The data is already being
    >> exported by netlink in recent kernels (code due to Antonio Quartulli), so
    >> it should be a fairly simple thing to do.

    > How much unicast traffic does Babel send over links to each neighbors
    > on its own?

By my random tcpdump observations, several packets per minute, but not as
many as a dozen.