[Babel-users] fun with babeld, and tools for measuring ETX for Babel meshes

Henning Rogge hrogge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:23:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
>> How much unicast traffic does Babel send over links to each neighbors
>> on its own?
>
> Very little.  None in a stable network, up to n^2 when the network
> collapses.
>
> I know what you're getting at: we'll need some clever code to make sure we
> don't select nodes that get a high rate because we haven't spoken to them
> in a long time.  It will doubtless need some experimenting to get it right.

I wrote a plugin for my OLSRv2 code for this that sends out a constant
number of unicast per time-interval, distributed over the wifi links
that had no unicast traffic since the last "probing attempt".

Without traffic the kernel cannot tell you the data-rate or throughput
of a wifi link.

Henning Rogge