[Babel-users] killing myself with a configuration error

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 17:46:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
>> I was kind of hoping to be rid of most of P2P announcements also...
>
> What do you mean by P2P?  Everything's P2P in Babel.  (We don't do
> centralised protocols here at Babel Towers.)
>
> If you mean the host routes (/32 and /128), you can say
>
>   redistribute local deny
>
> to get rid of them.  (You could also read babeld's manual page, I guess.)

Heh. Despite any outward appearances to the contrary, I have done very
little to optimize babel in the past - babel's defaults are sane and
"just work" - as they should. My fiddling now is that the network has
got larger, and is about to start carrying potentially least 5x more
routes than it did before, so I thought I'd try to optimize, clean up,
and clarify what I was doing before deploying. If I can make cero's
default configuration simpler, all the better.

I like very much to hear there's a formal bug reporting system starting
to come into play. A +10 to attempts to improve the conf file, and
move it into procd! Another +10 if it could parse uci or ubus
directly.

>> The results were "interesting". Babel ran amuck, eating nearly all the
>> cpu, flooding the network, and having the following ill effects:
>
> Okay, that's interesting indeed.  You apparently managed to get babeld
> into a feedback loop, and the token bucket prevented it from flooding your
> network.  (We care about the integrity of your network here at Babel Towers.)

> Could you please send the full configuration?  I.e. babeld's command line
> in full, together with any files mentioned on the command line, including
> the files generated by UCI, if any.

The simplest thing from my perspective would be to request you fiddle
with the near-final version of cerowrt on your wndr3800s and offer
suggestions and improvements.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~cero2/cerowrt/wndr/3.10.44-6/

I can send along the related openwrt and babeld conf files, but there
are a ton of interfaces involved that would be hard to deal with.

and it seems possible we ended up with a near bogus command line.

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article