[Babel-users] Aggregating and visualising data from multiple Babel routers

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sat Jul 5 22:15:16 UTC 2014

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
    > The important thing to understand is that a neighbour association is
    > between interfaces, not between routers; therefore Hello and IHU packets
    > do not carry a router-id, just a link-local address.  It would certainly
    > be possible, and not too onerous, to either add a sub-TLV to Hello to make
    > the router-id explicit, or to add a flag to Update that identifies
    > locally redistributed routes.  However since neither of these pieces of
    > information is relevan to routing, I find the idea somewhat
    > distasteful.

Yeah, but it seems to me like it's relevant to debugging broken routes.

I'm interested in associations which did *not* become routes, such as because
they were not the best way.   For instance, three nodes (A,B,C) in a oblique
triangle.  Let's say that the multihop case (A->B->C) is lower power, and has
higher ETX than the (A->C) route due to stuff like trees, buildings, or
interference along the direct route.

But, it would be nice to know that the A->C association is *possible* should
B die or need to be rebooted, etc....