[Babel-users] EFF releasing their own version of CeroWRT

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:13:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
> It looks like the information is now public... the EFF will be releasing
> their own version of CeroWRT, Dave's fork of OpenWRT:

Honestly I prefer to think of it as a branch, rather than a fork.

>   https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/07/building-open-wireless-router
>   http://lwn.net/Articles/606034/
>
> Dave's CeroWRT includes Babel(s) by default, but it looks like the EFF's
> firmware has removed that.  Bother, said Pooh.

Well, they have very different goals than cero does in several
respects. It merely turned out that they needed dnssec, ipv6, and
bufferbloat fixes in order to have a starting point for the stuff they
cared about.

It is certainly possible to make their direction more
homenet-compliant, and I do look forward to any innovations in gui,
secure update, and sharing they come up with making it back to the
mainline.

I don't (presently) have much to do with the project, I merely show'd
'em the fq_codel based SQM system, made two tiny changes for their
needs, and they were golden. It's pretty well known that I don't care
much about gui's, I am focused on the core technologies, so more power
to them if they can address the perceived needs of their audience
better than native cerowrt or openwrt do.

I would certainly prefer a world that converged on a more minimal set
of firmwares that were automagically kept up to date and secure, but
we are a long way from that point, at this point.

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article