[Babel-users] [homenet] Bits'n'bites demonstration of ISIS for homenet

David Lamparter equinox at diac24.net
Wed Jul 23 17:43:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 04:23:07PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2014, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> >> there will be a demonstration of ISIS running as the homenet routing
> >> protocol under the HNCP umbrella, basically replacing Babel in the same
> >> framework that was demonstrated at previous IETF.
> >
> > That's excellent news.  Have you written down your protocol extensions?
> > Did you have any unexpected trouble with source-sensitive routing in link
> > state?
>
> I wasn't directly involved in coding this, so I don't know. However, there
> is a goal to document experiences with the implementation, and to
> standardize the extensions needed. This work has been initiated during the
> IETF and I hope there will be things published in the next few months.

Regarding protocol extensions, this is an implementation of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-ipv6-isis-dst-src-routing-01
If someone else creates another implementation of that, it should
-basically- be compatible.  We did not have unexpected trouble in IS-IS's
link state/database management.

There are known and expected issues regarding interop between srcdest
and non-srcdest IS-IS implementations, i.e. a source restricted route
should never point to a non-srcdest router.  This will be addressed in a
future revision of the draft. (Examining interop wasn't part/goal of our
work so far, but having the implementation certainly creates the
opportunity to do just that.)

-David