[Babel-users] Detecting link-layer disconnection (Was: babels bug with uninitialized data somewhere?)

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste.jonglez at ens-lyon.fr
Sun Jun 29 09:10:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:40:40PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > I turn it off (it has a noisy fan) and for sane values of "boom", the
> > whole network switches over to going through the wan or adhoc ports.
>
> You appear to be running with a very high hello interval, so the value of
> boom is on the order of a minute, right?

Doesn't babeld notice when an interface goes down, and immediately tries
to find another route?  (well, unplugging a cable is not the same as going
down, but I guess the kernel could tell us anyway)

If I recall correctly, Quagga already watches interfaces for link-layer
events, so quagga-babel probably benefits from it.

On a related note, I once tried to use nl80211 [1] for detecting 802.11
association/deassociation events: basically, an elaborate version of
running « iw dev wlan0 station dump » at regular interval.  The goal is to
immediately notice when a neighbour disappears, by looking at the link
layer.  Unfortunately, I never managed to get it to work properly, netlink
is pretty arcane :/

[1] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/nl80211