[Babel-users] able to ping to neighbor but no entry in routing table

Harshal Vora harshal at amideeptech.com
Sat Mar 22 14:48:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

We have setup a cluster of machines in a large room (8000 sq ft).
One of these machines is connected to ethernet (master) and all others
(slaves) connect to each other using adhoc wifi network.

We use babeld to maintain routing tables on top of wifi adhoc network
(to achieve mesh like functionality).

We are facing an issue where all of a sudden the routing table is empty
on the master as well as on the slave.
We checked that we are able to ping from the master to the slave
(because of the proximity and because they are on the same adhoc
network), but we do not see any entry for each other in their respective
routing tables.

We have verified that babel daemon is running and also restarted the
babel daemon on both the machines without any success.

We run babel with logging level 3.

Below are the command and logs on master as well as slave.

Master: (wifi ad hoc network ip: 10.0.0.1, ethernet ip: 192.168.1.101)

Command:
start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /var/run/babeld.pid --exec
/usr/local/bin/babeld -- -C 'redistribute metric 128' -C 'redistribute
proto 3 allow' -d 3 -L /var/log/babeld.log -D -I /var/run/babeld.pid -r
-g 33123 wlan0

Logs:
My id 2c:46:03:67:47:3d:6c:fd seqno 65276
192.168.1.101/32 metric 0 (exported)
10.0.0.1/32 metric 0 (exported)
0.0.0.0/0 metric 0 (exported)
10.0.0.0/24 metric 128 (exported)
192.168.1.0/24 metric 128 (exported)
Sending hello 58580 (400) to wlan0.

Slave: (ad hoc network ip: 10.0.0.9, no ethernet connection)

Command:
start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /var/run/babeld.pid --exec
/usr/local/bin/babeld -- -d 3 -L /var/log/babeld.log -D -I
/var/run/babeld.pid -r -g 33123 wlan0

Logs:
My id 3c:95:86:8d:4a:4e:3f:d3 seqno 57633
10.0.0.9/32 metric 0 (exported)
Sending hello 44980 (400) to wlan0

The same logs are repeated continuously.
Looks like it is broadcasting its own routing table.

We have seen everything working properly for 1-2 hours and then suddenly
things break. This is happening since 2 days.
In normal working conditions, it is likely that master(10.0.0.1)
connects to this particular slave (10.0.0.9) via another slave
(10.0.0.4) in between these two machines which is currently down (not
able to ping 10.0.0.4 from either of these machines).

Any help will be appreciated.
Are there any known issues with babeld for larger networks (10 machines)?

Regards,