[Babel-users] what does 'redistribute metric 128' actually do?

Harshal Vora harshal at amideeptech.com
Wed Mar 26 17:16:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

We are setting up a wifi adhoc network where one of the device that is
connected to the ethernet (master) works as the gateway for other
devices (slaves) within the adhoc network.

Command to start babeld on master:
start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /var/run/babeld.pid --exec
/usr/local/bin/babeld -- -C 'redistribute metric 128' -C 'redistribute
proto 3 allow' -d 3 -L /var/log/babeld.log -D -I /var/run/babeld.pid -r
-g 33123 wlan0

'redistribute proto 3 allow' is used to distribute routes generated for
the ethernet interface.

Command to start babeld on slaves

start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /var/run/babeld.pid --exec
/usr/local/bin/babeld -- -d 3 -L /var/log/babeld.log -D -I
/var/run/babeld.pid -r -g 33123 wlan0

Considering that all the slaves might not be in direct proximity of the
master, should we use "-C 'redistribute metric 128'" on the slaves as well?
How does redistribute work?
How will slaves connect to each other if the master is down?

Consider the following setup

Here only S2 and S3 are in proximity of the master.
How will S1 and S4 connect to each other if S2 and S3 are not
redistributing routes?
What is the significance of metric?

Regards,