[Babel-users] Bable vs Linux Mesh mode.

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Thu Nov 20 18:24:13 UTC 2014

On 11/19/2014 11:07 AM, Dave Taht wrote:

> So I am confused. Both commotion and byzantium are currently olsrd
> based?

Yes, for the past several years.  I can't speak to Commotion, but
Byzantium migrated on 27 October 2012, and made it official in v0.3a
(Beach Cat).

> v1? v2?

The package in our repo has the release code v0.6.4.

> How would you compare the two routing protocols advantages and
> disadvantages?

- From a technical perspective, it's been six of one, half dozen of the
other.  From a management perspective, we had to write a little code
that rewrites /etc/olsrd.conf and bounces olsrd (and, in turn, sends
signals to a half-dozen other parts of the software stack) but that's
about it.  babeld makes it much easier to propagate new gateways
through a mesh, but olsrd made it somewhat easier to reconfigure other
stuff the next wallclock second after that happened.

> Yes, but in this case I was connecting an ubuntu client to the
> mesh, which defaults to isc dhclient

I didn't mean dhclient or dhcpcd, I meant the ISC DHCP server.  Lots
of folks like to use it, but there are better implementations to use
in this problem space.

> It could be improved. I would like it to have an always connect to
> everything mode, certainly. And for it to work well with adhoc,
> HNCP, etc.

You and I both.  I think we're both asking for ponies, though. :(

- --
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS]
Developer, Project Byzantium: http://project-byzantium.org/

WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

"As the Prince of Hope I'm uniquely qualified to recognize wwhen all
hope is lost." --Eridan Ampora