[Babel-users] ANNOUNCE: babeld-1.6.0

Steven Barth cyrus at openwrt.org
Sat Apr 18 06:52:58 UTC 2015

I will look into migrating hnetd to use the regular babeld package next
week but I at least need subtrees to be enabled and that patch of mine
needs to be there. I bumped babels to one or two commits before 1.6.0 to
Juliusz' main branch already and so far that worked out well. I will
just have to figure out if the init-changes make a difference to me or not.

About the patch I submitted it more than a year ago already:
https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/babel-users/2014-February/001551.html
and have it in babels ever since. I can't find it right now- but if I'm
not all too clumsy I sent a reminder about it to Matthieu and Juliusz a
few weeks / months ago but got no reply to both mails.

Anyway the reasoning is that if you simply do a: ping6 ipv6.google.com
on the router itself, ping6 will simply use connect() or sendto()
without explicitly bind()ing to a source-address address thus the kernel
tries to lookup the route with source-address ::/128 (unspecified
address). If you only have source-restricted routes you then need to
have a route with source ::/128 aswell otherwise ping6 will fail with
sth. like "network is unreachable" and many programs will behave the
same. By default babel though treats these routes as invalid (due to
::/128) so I have to patch the filter.

Cheers,

Steven