[Babel-users] Fwd: Why we switched to Babel

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sat Aug 8 08:35:43 UTC 2015

Marc, Jenny, thanks for the detailed explanation.

> There was another reason: In batman-adv the MAC address is the identifier
> used for each device. It is possible to configure many devices to
> randomize their MAC address but it needs the user to do something, so most
> people will never know to do it.

Please be aware that by default Babel uses a router-id that is derived
from the MAC address.  You can avoid this by setting the router-id
manually (which I don't recommend) or using a random router-id (-r).
With -r, you get a new router-id everytime you restart the babeld daemon.

I you're using IPv6, you should also make sure you don't announce routes
to MAC-based IPv6 addresses, but I'm sure you're already aware of that
particular privacy issue.