[Babel-users] Specifying the routing table of exported routes

Matthieu Boutier boutier at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Thu Aug 27 12:56:47 UTC 2015

> The "default route into its own table" is used for more complex setups
> where you have different kinds of internet uplinks (e.g. the normal
> one for your traffic, a VPN for mesh traffic)

We solved that particular problem in our network with source-specific
routing.

> or where you don't want
> to share your internet uplink but use it locally. All of this has been
> integrated to some amount in a lot of Community Mesh firmwares in form
> of complex policy rules... rules that can be made more sane if you put
> certain routes from the routing protocol (e.g. the default route) into
> a table of its own.

Why not having a separate service which duplicates the routes you want
into the tables you want?  You could easily filter routes by protocol,
or whatever, and decide to duplicates the default route in such table,
etc.  And this solution will be usable for all routing protocols, with
the same configuration.

And I think that it should not be so-hard to implement: read a netlink
notification, (apply filter,) change the routing table in the netlink
message, and send it back to netlink, to apply the change.

Matthieu