[Babel-users] babeld wishlist

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:39:25 UTC 2015

I've been working on various bits of make-wifi-fast of late. My babel
wishlist for the next year is[1]...

** Working channel diversity selection based on the current linux wireless api
** Correct channel diversity for 802.11ac
** Fast channel switching in light of a DFS changeover
** Channel selection integration support with hncpd
** full debian/ubuntu/fedora/arch support
** clean restarts and other reconfiguration
*** openwrt procd support
*** systemd support
** Version output in the monitoring interface
** similar to existing useful on olsr plugins or interfaces to babel's
monitoring interfaces, whatever they are
** more unicast instead of multicast
lower the load on wifi
** short haul metrics based on rtt and congestion
I know, I know, I keep wanting to do this but it is stuck on per
station queuing working at all in any wifi driver which is my big job
next year
** Bird version finished
*** IPv4?
*** Bird 2
Seems likely the turris omnia folk will want to run bird
** Atomic route updates
example patch for quagga: http://patchwork.quagga.net/patch/1435/

** ECN and rate control for larger networks
** Covering/collapsing routes and interdomain routing
babel at the scale of a small city
*** proxying?
** what can be learned from BGP?
** Faster dead link detection with switches that support it
** Koruza support
** many radio types (802.11ad, lte, bluetooth, 802.14 etc) supported
sanely at the same time (6 radios, say...), gradual route optimization
over such
** Homeplug vs ethernet routing selections
** Rebuild quagga patches for babel based on GPL sources (from bird?)
I am partially at fault for how this went down and would like to see
someone (else) fix it...
** source specific routing tested at more scale with things like tinc
** ns2/ns3 support
** rfc7298 support in everything
** Testing over WPA encrypted and other sorts of semi p2p networks
like, for example the 24ghz airmax products
** Better dhcp/babel integration for hosts that wish to participate
** better mobility for hosts running a stubby babel
** Babel fuzzer and more testing of misaligned data
** A pony

[1] not that I have any funding. (Or time) Might have just got some from:
techfund.xfinity.com (others should apply)... but that's mostly aimed
at finally tackling more basic problems in wifi.

https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi