[Babel-users] Babel instability in WLAN-SI

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 19:15:51 UTC 2015

Hi!

So luckily we do know which links are wireless and which are VPN, so
we could configure that in the Babel configuration.

About VPN, I think ideally, we would want a metric for VPN links which:
- take RTT into the account
- take packet loss into the account
- take available bandwidth vs. used bandwidth into the account
- makes it clear that the link does not interfere with other links (so
no wireless interference)

Also, at some installations maintainers prefer to use WiFi links if
available, instead of VPN (because VPN can go over links where you pay
by usage). Not sure how we could mark those links? Maybe we should
have multiple links available? Wired, VPN, VPN-per-use, wireless?

(Also, some VPN links go over wireless - like 4G wireless. So packet
loss and RTT and stuff still very applies.)

The last point is something I am unclear what happens if we mark VPN
link as wireless and we use BabelZ?

Why have you disabled packet-loss metric on VPN links? Just to lower
the overhead of sending packets over? We would prefer to have it on,
we do not care so much about that low overhead (fiber to homes in
Slovenia).

> Obviously, this is not recommended, since doing link quality estimation on wired links is sub-optimal.

What do you mean here? That quality is not computed optimally, or that
it is sub-optimal from the perspective of link use (because it
consumes the bandwidth to measure the link quality)? I do not see why
computation of link quality would not work on the wired links as well
as on WiFi?

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/