[Babel-users] [homenet] Detecting bridges

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Dec 18 09:53:42 UTC 2015

> Is there room in the protocol for a router to announce what link type it
> is on?

This could be carried by a sub-TLV of Hello (or a sub-TLV of IHU if you
want to make it per-host).

> I.e., a router on wifi announces wifi and when a router that is on wired
> receives an announcement from a router on wifi it knows that there
> a bridge somewhere.

Not a bad idea, but I'm a little hesitant to implement that, since it
would require defining a taxonomy of interface types at the protocol
level.  (Currently the taxonomy exists in the implementation, but it
doesn't appear in the protocol -- the protocol only knows about metrics.)