[Babel-users] How to handle non-mesh clients

yanosz freifunk at yanosz.net
Fri Jul 3 14:53:05 UTC 2015

Hello folks,

being new to babel and this mailinglist ... here's my first post.

Given a a bunch of OpenWRTrouters running babel - what are the ideas /
best practices for integrating non-mesh client?

In my scenario, every OpenWRT-Box spawns an infrastructure networks for
mobile phones, tablets, laptops, ... (in short: non-mesh clients) to
provide network access. In addition each node provides network and
Internet-connectivity (IPv4 and IPv6) using a babel based mesh backbone.

For me, the most relevant issues are:
-> Addressing
Who is running DHCP, DHCPv6 and radv services? Each node? Are there
dedicated ones? Are there any DHCP <-> AHCP Gateways?
How do I assign IPv4 / IPv6 Subnets in a sane manner? Using AHCP?

-> Roaming
Consider, a non-mesh client moves from one AP to another (in detail:
authenticates using MAC-layer). Does Babel detect this move? Is the
OpenWRT-Box able to announce a host route for this non-mesh-client? Is
there Some Book-Keeping (ARP-Tables, IPv6 Neighbor-Tabels) done to
select host-routes to be announced?

That's it.
Thanks,
Jan