[Babel-users] Fwd: Specify router-id explicitly

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sat Jul 11 14:47:38 UTC 2015

> Ok but how to do table with neighbours where will be more for me and
> other identifier of node (like name, or better ipv4 address) instead
> local IPv6 address which is generate by kernel for radio port

Babel is a routing protocol, and it is carefully designed to not carry any
extraneous information -- just the strict minimum that is needed for
routing.  Since Babel doesn't need to associate neighbour interfaces to
nodes, it doesn't.

There are many solutions to what you want to do.  The simplest would
probably be to have a dedicated protocol that periodically multicasts its
Babel router-id.

You could also send the router-id as a sub-TLV of Babel's Hello TLV.
Sub-TLVs 224 through 254 are reserved for non-standard extensions, and the
place in the code is the function send_hello_noupdate in message.c.