[Babel-users] ANNOUNCE: babeld-1.6.1

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:24:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 1:28 AM, Gabriel Kerneis <gabriel at kerneis.info> wrote:
> Le 2015-06-17 05:41, Dave Taht a écrit :
>>
>> I did notice, in finally attempting to switch off of the old babels
>> package in openwrt to the new babel package updated for 1.6.1, that
>> there is no option in openwrt to enable diversity routing anymore. Is
>> this an intentional omission?
>

> It should work like any other babel option:
>
> config general
>     option diversity true
>     option diversity_factor 128
>
> Please let me know if this doesn't work.

1) Thx. I will try. Wouldn't I want to use "3" here, instead of true?

I realize (now) that the init script translates the whatever_whatever
stuff into the babel command set, but it would be nice if the whole
command set in openwrt was documented and commented out in the
babeld.config file.

Where I had gone wrong was grepping for "-z" and "diversity" in the
babeld.init file...

2) Is there any reason why diversity should not default to true?

3) some more configuration examples in babeld.conf and in the openwrt
babeld.config file would be helpful. I am not attempting right now to
use hnetd to further configure babel, and do get a variety of /56s and
/60s from my upstreams, so i was thinking that the below src specific
routing options might be good examples? (but have not tried them yet,
so "good" is an option)

http://pastebin.com/Cmdh9YMM

4) I am also curious if an old configuration trick of mine could be
overridden successfully with the new babel /tmp/babel.d/ configuration
method?

in /etc/babeld.conf

out if wan ip 0.0.0.0/0 deny
in if wan ip 0.0.0.0/0 deny

then later in /tmp/babeld.d/100-yea-no-nat.conf

out if wan ip 0.0.0.0/0 allow
in if wan ip 0.0.0.0/0 allow

My general assumption is not. In my case it is always safe to run
babel over ipv6 on all interfaces, and sometimes not on ipv4. I am
perfectly happy to just get a set of ipv6 routes first.

(no, haven't got around to doing any of this, barely got a compile
working last night)

> Best,
> --
> Gabriel

What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast