[Babel-users] ANNOUNCE: babeld-1.6.1

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 22:32:42 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Gabriel Kerneis <gabriel at kerneis.info> wrote:
> Le 17 juin 2015 19:24:18 CEST, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 1:28 AM, Gabriel Kerneis
>> <gabriel at kerneis.info> wrote:
>> > config general
>> >     option diversity true
>> >     option diversity_factor 128
>> >
>> > Please let me know if this doesn't work.
>>
>> 1) Thx. I will try. Wouldn't I want to use "3" here, instead of true?
>
> man babeld,  grep diversity
>
>> I realize (now) that the init script translates the whatever_whatever
>> stuff into the babel command set, but it would be nice if the whole
>> command set in openwrt was documented and commented out in the
>> babeld.config file.
>
> No. /etc/config/babeld refers explicitly to man babeld which should be your source of truth for options and default values.
>
> https://github.com/openwrt-routing/packages/blob/master/babeld/files/babeld.config
>
>> 2) Is there any reason why diversity should not default to true?
>
> Nobody asked for it before. Juliusz?

To somewhat answer my own question, when babel is used on a standalone
"AP" interface, it is unable to automagically determine the channel it
is on. So I guess whatever it uses can only figure out a adhoc
interface? I imagine it would have grave difficulty on bridged
devices.... (in my case I am anticipating having several p2p links
over conventional AP wifi)

The log fills with:

Couldn't determine channel of interface wlan0: Invalid argument.
Couldn't determine channel of interface wlan1: Invalid argument.

For more info on my first build and test in many months, see:

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cerowrt-devel/2015-June/004695.html

Still, diversity more on by default strikes me as a goodness. Moving
to manually configure now.

Secondly, having babel logging *on* by default in the std openwrt
build strikes me as a bad idea for reasons like this:

http://science.slashdot.org/story/15/05/29/130211/crowdfunded-solar-powered-spacecraft-goes-silent

Better for a user to expressly enable logging in openwrt if needed.

worldwide bufferbloat report:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/results/bufferbloat
And:
What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast