[Babel-users] Low level rewrite, install filters

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Nov 13 13:22:14 UTC 2015

> I just setup 20000 routes on a VM (10000 IPv4, 10000 IPv6), imported
> them into OLSRv2 and watched them appearing on the other VM.

Why not simply redistribute the whole BGP DFZ into the IGP?

> It helped me to find quite a few bugs, both in packet
> generation/fragmentation and in the netlink routing code.

Yeah, I remember.  But Babel doesn't have this kind of issues -- there's
no fragmentation, it's simply sending multiple independent updates, one
for each prefix.

We once redistributed the whole IPv6 DFZ into babeld, and it simply
started dropping routes when it ran out of table space.  (Table space is
artificially limited in babeld in order to avoid triggering the Linux OOM
killer.)

That's not to say it isn't a worthy experiment, just that it's not likely
to show anything interesting in the case of Babel.