[Babel-users] Fwd: Re: ask about security extension babel

yanosz babel at yanosz.net
Fri Oct 7 08:58:16 UTC 2016

Betreff: Re: [Babel-users] ask about security extension babel
Datum: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 10:57:14 +0200
Von: yanosz <freifunk at yanosz.net>
An: saromben saromben <embik.saromben at gmail.com>, babel at yanosz.net

Hello,

Am 10/04/2016 um 08:00 AM schrieb saromben saromben:
> dear all,
>
> there are some questions i wanna ask :
> - is it possible to encrypte message in babel routing, like using
> encyption alghrotim such as DES, AES etc ? and is there a way i
> implement something like that in babel routing ?

IMO this doesn't help much.
- If an attacker is inside the medium / network, than he / she can use
traceroute (or others) to discover the network topology.
- If the attacker is outside the medium / network, the medium must be
protected from unauthorized access and thus the attacker cannot receive
the control messages anyway.

Signing routing messages is more interesting IMO - by that an attacker
is not able to manipulate the routing, if he / she is inside the network.

> - how to implement an extension in babel, if i wanna add some security
> extension what first step i must do about it ?

I guess, that you've design a protocol by composing cryptographic
primitives (key-exchange, AEAD, etc.).

> i was a beginner in babel routing protocol, so if you all don't mind
> answer my question ...

This - in essence - is not that related to babel. It's more like
building secure channels using the C programming language.

Greetz, yanosz

--
For those of you without hope, we have rooms with color TV,
cable and air conditioning