[Babel-users] [babel] source sub-tlv

Matthieu Boutier boutier at irif.fr
Fri Jun 9 14:56:02 UTC 2017

Summary on wildcard requests.  Please correct me if I misunderstood
what has been expressed.  Nobody supports (2) and (4).  It rests:

 1. only keep (legacy) wildcard requests, and reply with a full dump.

 3. Send a non-specific wildcard request for non-specific routes,
    a source-specific wildcard request for source-specific routes,
    a tos-specific wildcard request for tos-specific routes,
    a source-and-tos-specific wildcard request for
    source-and-tos-specific routes, etc.
    Send all this kind of requests for a full dump.

Juliusz prefers (3) because (1) is less conservative than (3) in the
sense that a legacy Babel speaker may receive unsolicited routes.

David prefers (3).

Toke prefers (1), because (3) increases implementation complexity while
not solving anything (no use case).

I prefer (1), mainly because (3) is a pain to define.  An extension
(like the TOS one) will have to consider all previous extensions to
consider the possible combinations, which I consider confusing.

I'm not so afraid by the implementation complexity induced by (3),
because an implementation can send an update at any time. It results
that an implementation MAY send a full dump regardless the request
received.  In other terms, a receiver may implement (1) even if (3)
is standardized.  On the requester side, a wildcard request is
statically defined, so from an implementation point of view it's
not worth it.

Thoughts ?

Matthieu