[Babel-users] Should I use wifi mesh routing in crisis situations?

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 05:21:56 UTC 2017

Hi!

I would also be surprised if 802.11s works better than ad-hoc. I think
it is just a question of configuration in both cases. It is really
primarily limitation of one-channel communication.

Maybe through years ad-hoc implementations got bugs, but few years ago
ad-hoc mesh worked OK with wlan slovenia firmware. (With OK I mean 1
Mbit/s speeds. One YouTube video and this is it.) Maybe we just got
used to N and AC speeds and this is now not enough. I would guess that
all MIMO and package pipelining done with N and AC protocols do not
work well in ad-hoc mode.

One thing with one-channel mesh networks one has to consider is how
much noise each node is making to other nodes. You probably want to
sometimes even make TX power smaller to make less noise to other
nodes.

But ad-hoc mode was never really meant for performance but for
independence to me. That the mesh network operates even without
uplinks and tunnels. And then speed one gets with backbone links.

So maybe think about setup where you use multiple radios per device.
Using ad-hoc, 802.11s, or 802.11s with one hop (nice trick, btw), I do
not think it matters so much. But test it. Test it also with different
TX powers. I think you should understand that 802.11s will not scale.
So really use it just for small parts of the network, you then combine
with L3 routing protocol together.

Mitar

http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m