[Babel-users] Chat now requires you to identify with NickServ to be able to speak

Martin Weinelt martin at darmstadt.freifunk.net
Tue Aug 7 17:09:34 BST 2018

Hi,

we in the IRC chatroom have had problems with spam for the last two
weeks and therefore have asked freenode opers to help us fight it.

After a few days where an oper (Unit193) would autokill spammy bots we
(jchristau and hexa-) decided to have him mute users who have not
identified with NickServ. This was a necessary step to improve the
signal to noise ratio.

The channel has therefore been set to +zq $~a and the oper has assumed
the channel operator role, which means that non-identified users are
quieted, but their messages are still visible to channel operators,
which in turm enables him to automatically ban these bots from the network.

I hope everybody is fine with this decision. If not we should probably
discuss what to do next.

Best regards,

Martin