[Babel-users] How to speedup converge and how to set preferred source

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Tue Dec 25 13:07:09 GMT 2018

> Currently when the route converges, the lxc hosts can ping each other, and the
> lxc hosts can ping the routers (test_{1,2,3}), but when I disconnect a link,
> e.g. test_3_1, connection interruptted between test_1 and test_3 for ~250 sec.

It looks like seqno requests are not getting through.  Are you sure that
you don't have a faulty firewall somewhere that doesn't let through
unicast Babel packets?

> Problem 2:
> With current configuration, I noticed that the routers (test_{1,2,3}) cannot
> ping undirectly connected nodes, tcpdump shows the ping message has sender of
> 192.168.227.*, which is not populated to babel.

> I want to use 172.31.* to simplify management, so I don't want to populate
> 192.168.224.* if possible.

> I noticed that the kernel route table installed by babel doesn't contain
> 'src <ip>' part. When I manually create routes with such part, all the
> routers and nodes can ping each other.

A patch to set the src field will be merged soon (see
https://github.com/jech/babeld/pull/18), but you should try to understand
why this is needed in the first place -- again, I suspect a faulty
firewall configuration.