[Babel-users] Plans for incompatible changes

Matthieu Boutier boutier at irif.fr
Fri Jul 6 07:05:13 BST 2018

Hi Christof,

> If I am building a network now that utilises source-specific routing, how can I best prepare for a migration path?

> Can both versions be run simultaneously? Should I stop building this network now and instead switch to some experimental branch that already contains the new wire-format?

If you can just deploy the new version everywhere and reboot the network, that would be the best. The 1.9.0 branch (and all future versions) are not experimental and will support the new, *definitive* version of the source-specific extension.

If you remove source-specific routes during migration, you will be able to deploy the new version progressively. Otherwise, you cannot deploy the new version progressively without the risk to have loops, although we could write a *temporary hack* for this if needed.

Hope it helps, cheers,
Matthieu