[Babel-users] SOLVED - routes appearing later than hoped-for

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Mar 8 21:31:54 UTC 2018

Christof Schulze <christof.schulze at gmx.net> writes:

> I wasn't aware of Toke's implementation of babel so far. Why are there
> two?

Why wouldn't you have two? ;)

A good way to check whether an RFC is well-defined is by having someone
else implement it without looking at the source code of the reference
implementation. Which is what I did (and I am proud to say I have still
not read the babeld source ;)), adding support for Babel in the Bird
routing daemon: http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&v=20&f=bird-6.html#ss6.1

The implementation does not have all the battle-tested optimisations of
babeld at the protocol level. But Bird itself is quite battle-tested;
and quite capable of handling a full BGP routing table, for instance (as
far as processing is concerned; wouldn't necessarily recommend exporting
the full BGP route table over Babel...).

If you're not using source-specific, the Bird implementation is
compatible with old babeld; but we changed the encoding for
source-specific routes, so unfortunately that is not backwards
compatible.

-Toke