[Babel-users] Route-dete :wq

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Fri Mar 9 03:33:33 UTC 2018

> One thing that fell out of that was mainline babeld had a very
> suboptimal routine for merging routes (also it's use of memcmp was
> inefficient) - and juliusz put out a call for a qsorted implementation
> a while back.

Just to be clear -- the quadratic behaviour is for routes redistributed
from another routing protocol.  Routes learned from other protocols use
a O(log n) data structure.

But you're right to remind me of the issue, I really ought to take care of
it after I get 1.8.1 out the door.

> I have high hopes for the unicast stuff to lighten the routing load by
> potentially orders of magnitude.

We'll see.

> The biggest problem I've run into, is that meshy links, are, meshy -
> and I've lost track of the number of times where
> I had a well defined /16 network in the lab suddenly leak all the
> meshy /32 bits over the worst possible link - because I plugged
> something in that was adhoc (and poorly) connected to the outside
> network that I shouldn't have.

Yes, filtering is error-prone.  I have some ideas about making it less so.