[Babel-users] babeld interface

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Sat Mar 10 00:56:15 UTC 2018

> Nils and I wrote such a daemon, called mmfd. It is able to forward
> multicast packets in the whole network. To learn about the topology and
> the relevant neighbours, it queries babeld: mmfd is listening via
> "monitor" on the babeld socket.

Good.

> What do you think of providing the same data over json to make it better
> parsable?

The format of the monitoring interface is well defined : it's a series of
lines of the form

  keyword id key value key value ...

where each key/value is either space separated, or a string within double
quotes.

This format is extensible (we can add new keywords and new keys at any
time), and it's also easy to parse by a human (Antonin and I have just
spent much of today telnetting by hand into Babel's monitoring interface).
So I'm not convinced that switching to JSON would have any benefits.

Please let me know if you disagree, I'm not fundamentally opposed to
adding a new command "monitor-json" if you think it's desirable, but I'd
rather avoid the added complexity.