[Babel-users] rbtree branch for resend.c

Christof Schulze christof.schulze at gmx.net
Sun Nov 4 18:06:19 GMT 2018

Hi
> [ replace linked list with rb-tree]
That sounds great, thank you for your efforts!

>I was kind of hung up on wanting something that could also expire
>stuff but walking the tree to do that happens a lot less often.
I do not think this is entirely a question of the data structure but
also of the structure of babeld itself.

In l3roamd I also have the use case of scheduling tasks in the future to
expire data or retry tasks. There I am using a heap to manage tasks. When
the associated timer fires, the task is executed.

It could be helpful to have something like that in babeld as well if
auto-expiry is a concern. That would get rid of walking the structure to
find expired items and get rid of the need to delay collecting garbage.

Christof

>2) It seems to me rescheduling the garbage collection phase should always
>be flung into the future somewhat.
>
>3) using a trie ( https://github.com/AUTProjects/FlashTrie.go/ ? ) &
>hashes to scale even more is feasible. (the code now bottlenecks in
>the various match routines to what extent it still does, and I/O) I
>was thinking that a new tlv for appending a hash to a route might be
>helpful so it doesn't need to always be recalculated...
>
>I *might* take this idea to the nlogn branch (where I didn't get
>around to figuring out why some filters aren't working, as yet). I'm a
>a conference this weekend, don't expect to get anything done.

/\  against proprietary attachments