[Babel-users] hmac merge

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 01:22:48 GMT 2018

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 5:18 PM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > There's also the option...
> >
> > Given that the main selling point of HMAC vs. DTLS is that it has no
> > dependencies, it wouldn't be particularly wise to make the reference
> > implementation depend on a Linux-specific library.
> >
> > Of course, we'll make it easy for distributors to replace our bundled
> > implementation of SHA-256 with whatever it is they find convenient.  (I
> > expect Dave to replace it with his hand-written implementation that
> > interleaves MMX with AVX2 while simultaneously performing modular
> > multiplication in the U pipe to hash 27.7 bytes per cycle per core.)
> >
> > (If you know what the U pipe is, you're old.)
>
> I haven't had fun like that in ages! :) And you forgot that you can
> still use the old FPU stack for stuff, if you are careful.

oops, I misread what you said. Still, that 80 bit FP precision must be
useful for something.

Why can't we re-calc metrics in floating point using SSE or AVX? Look
at all these "shorts"!
to heck with integer arithmetic!

struct babel_route {
    struct source *src;
    unsigned short refmetric;
    unsigned short cost;
    unsigned short add_metric;
    unsigned short seqno;
    struct neighbour *neigh;
    unsigned char nexthop[16];
    time_t time;
    unsigned short hold_time;    /* in seconds */
    unsigned short smoothed_metric; /* for route selection */

/me passes jules back the vodka