[Babel-users] rather than ripemd160...

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 12:43:34 GMT 2018

I have been fiddling with the hmac-challenge branch and deeply unhappy
at the prospect of how much cpu this may end up consuming on the cheap
MIPs routers common today (which are, admittedly, rapidly being
replaced by cheap ARM ones).  (let's not talk about dtls)

Anyway, the default hash function is sha256 in the hmac-challenge
branch. I approve, there's hardware support for it, and if someone
breaks it, civilization collapses, so an alternate hmac is a "good to
have", and what's in that branch... is ripemd160.

Both blake and siphash seem like a superior choice for an alternate
hmac function to ripemd160. In particular blake is subject of its own
RFC, and comes in several clean highly optimized versions for x86 and
arm architectures.

https://blake2.net/ -

https://www.131002.net/siphash/siphash.pdf ?

CTO, TekLibre, LLC