[Babel-users] [babel] rather than ripemd160...

STARK, BARBARA H bs7652 at att.com
Mon Nov 26 19:47:59 GMT 2018

FYI. IETF policies re "downrefs" in standards track RFCs is described in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3967 (and updated by https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8067).
In short, it's not prohibited, but careful review is required.
Note RFC3967 Section 2 first bullet

   There are a number of circumstances in which an IETF document may
   need to make a normative reference to a document at a lower maturity
   level, but such a reference conflicts with Section 4.2.4 of
   [RFC2026].  For example:

   o  A standards track document may need to refer to a protocol or
      algorithm developed by an external body but modified, adapted, or
      profiled by an IETF informational RFC, for example, MD5 [RFC1321]
      and HMAC [RFC2104].  Note that this does not override the IETF's
      duty to see that the specification is indeed sufficiently clear to
      enable creation of interoperable implementations.

Barbara

> Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7693
is informational. Is that good