[Babel-users] HMAC Key rotation key format (was ripemd)

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon Nov 26 21:10:56 GMT 2018

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:

> To me this leaves the biggest problem remaining is key rotation. Me
> being me, and remembering just how hard it was to get dnssec working
> on systems lacking reliable time,

The Babel HMAC extension as currently specified does not rely on wall
clock time in any way, so not really sure how a comparison to dnssec is
relevant?

> Setting that aside for the moment, having a standardized file format
> for babel keys would be a boon and boost interoperability between
> bird/babel and other possible implementations.

>From the point of view of each routing daemon this would just make Babel
a special snowflake.

What we can do is to specify the format in the information model if a
cross-implementation format is really needed (which I'm not really
convinced of, either)...

-Toke