[Babel-users] basic bird//babeld interop for ss

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 04:27:19 BST 2018

After getting babel's rfc-bis branch up, I do successfully interop
with bird's int for all forms of ipv4, ipv6, and ss ipv6 routes.....

I am still getting this frequently from the babeld speakers on the
other side of the bird speaker (de9c is the bird box)...

Received prefix with no router id.
Couldn't parse packet (8, 14) from fe80::230:18ff:fec9:de9c on eno1.

* This was a fun little test:

ip -6 addr add fd55::1/48 dev wlp2s0
for i in `seq 48 127`
do
ip -6 route add fd55::/$i from fd55::/48 dev wlp2s0
done

and all these "from" routes show up. As well as the regular route, which
I assume was the intent? e.g:

fd55::/49 from fd55::/48 via fe80::230:18ff:fec9:de9c dev eth0.2 proto
babel metric 1024 pref medium
fd55::/49 via fe80::20d:b9ff:fe41:6c1a dev eth0.2 proto babel metric
1024 pref medium

The inverse:

for i in `seq 48 127`
do
ip -6 route del fd55::/$i from fd55::/48 dev wlp2s0
done

works from either babeld or bird and gets propagated.

bird's filtering language is a bit alien as yet.

* then I do my rtod from hell - rtod -r 16000 - from the
*unpatched-for-fasterxroute* box

and it's cpu goes to 100%, starts doing late hellos, announces some
routes, and then
falls off the net rendering all those routes unreachable... comes back
and some go reach, then unreach... then I flush them....

root at edgerouterx:~# ip -6 route | grep unreach | wc -l
16006

And bird? has a faster GC interval? or when babel gets overloaded it
doesn't flush as well or as often? Shouldn't these have gone unreach
for about the same amount of time? Does bird and babel have the same
notion of monotonic time?

root at bird:~# ip -6 route | wc -l
99

then it comes back, and more carnage ensues, but I'll spare you the
bloody details. I'm used to it, and it's not really relevant...

* I hit the nlogn branch with the same stuff... it's cpu barely ticks
over, thousands of routes
get distributed... it gets knocked off the network... and all end up
unreachable, after everybody else runs out of some resource or
another....

* Then I try a *sane* number of routes... e.g: 1024...

and everything - bird, babel 1.8.2, babeld-rfc-bis, babeld-nlogn -
everything's pretty happy.

8192... too many...

Anyway, that was just a basic test, and I'll get some time to setup more boxes
equivalently by sunday I hope. If anyone has a test scripts or ideas
let me know.

fun.

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com