[Babel-users] 57 forks of babel on github

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 17:35:59 GMT 2018

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:56 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 1:52 AM Antonin Décimo <antonin.decimo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Dave,
> >
> > There's also my dtls branch.
> > https://github.com/MisterDA/babeld/tree/unicast-dtls
> >
> > It requires some cleanups, updates to the latest draft, and
> > harmonisation with the hmac branch, but I'm confident we'll eventually
> > get there.
>
> cool. What's your intended deployment model?
>
> One of my issues with crypto, rather than auth, is I'd wanted a way to
> have a partially untrusted network to bootstrap off of and/or to allow at
> least some unauthed or uncrypted nodes to participate with filters or inflated
> metrics.
>
> You bring a new node up. It needs to get on the network long enough
> to at least get a route to somewhere that has the configuration info you
> need to stick into it. Being "stubby" is almost enough (unless you are
> trying to come up as a p2p interface) - which will work with hmac auth nodes
> - a default route to the internet is all you need to (for example) install
> essential updates and tools, but being able to express that you'd like
> a couple unprotected routes to exist is a difficult problem
>
> As another example, I'd like to share part of my ipv6 source specific
> space with the meshy universe, but not allow anyone further access inside
> my network, or allow anyone in attempting to use or spoof part of the
> rest of the space in it at all.
>
> (simple example, I filter out nearly all announcements
> of normal ipv4 address space, so 8.8.8.8 can't be spoofed, and I used to
> filter out anything outside of comcast's ASN as that's the only public
> IPv6 space I have (used to just limit it to my dedicated hurricane tunnel),
> and certainly filter out their dns server ipv6 addrs also)
>
> It would be good to be able to log certain forms of possible malfeasance...

To expand on this a tiny bit. Babeld has a hard coded martians filter, which
logs what it classifies as martians. (I'd actually like that to be
overridable and extendable but, not today...)

a useful extension to babel's filtering language would be "denylog"...
and forgive me
for not getting the language straight pre-coffee

in ip 172.20.0.0/14 # my network and today I can't remember if it's ge or le
redistribute ip 172.20.0.0/14 allow # my network and today I can't
remember if it's ge or le

in ip 192.168.0.0/16 denylog # God 192.168.x is everywhere or...
redistribute ip 169.254.0.0/16 denylog # I'm perpetually exporting
this from various unconfigured interfaces
in denylog 99  "bad guys present!!"

I'd mentioned an idea for a new verb "block" which (configured
cheaply) would stop some of this kind of stuff at the xroute interface
also
(and let me have that enormous bogon route list). Tossing some stuff
early (ebpf, also) is generally a win.

as a side note, in bird, if I hit it with 20000 routes here, and filter thusly,

filter import_filter
{
        # Filter routes in blacklist
        if (net ~ blacklist) then reject "blacklisted";
        if (krt_source = 50) then reject "dont rtod me today";
        accept;
}

they all get tossed early, *not stored in memory*, and bird barely
registers on cpu. Clear win for bird, though I should go retry this on
the xroute-nlogn branch
verb: in? install? what?

(NetworkManager and dnsmasq go nuts but... aghhhh... I really should
go patch dnsmasq too)

I haven't figured out enough of bird to get it to stop announcing all
the local ips, btw, and am quite
far from using it on my default gws, but definately in the long run,
on the loaded edges (apu2s mostly soon), after mucho testing I intend
to switch to it.