[Babel-users] Babel security [was: 57 forks of babel on github]

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 21:14:18 GMT 2018

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 1:48 PM Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at irif.fr> wrote:

> > One of my issues with crypto, rather than auth, is I'd wanted a way to
> > have a partially untrusted network to bootstrap off of and/or to allow at
> > least some unauthed or uncrypted nodes to participate with filters or inflated
> > metrics.
>
> The important thing to understand is that both security mechanisms that
> we're currently developing protect Babel messages.  We're not attempting
> to secure Babel updates end-to-end.
>
> Both security models use auth per-interface.  Either you allow anyone to
> associate on a given interface, or you require crypto on that interface.

Basically, you have to do setup in your lab, and not in the forest.

I get by on just installing a static default route in the forest 'cept on
p2p links.

> So in order to build a partially untrusted network:
>
>   - set up security for your backbone links, either at the application
>     layer (DTLS or HMAC), or at the link layer (WPA2, 802.1X) or at the
>     physical layer (a guy or gal with an AK47 (Chinese clones will do) in
>     front of every Ethernet socket);

It is my hope that all this stream of consciousness traffic during a deployment
will lend itself one day to a better, more coherent bcp for folk to leverage.

While AK47s are readily available on the aftermarket at low cost, the glock 43
is far more transportable, and when used in the hands of an
experienced operator,
in single shot mode, causes less damage to other valuable pieces of equipment.

Toxins spread liberally around the outlet work 24x7 until they
evaporate and don't
require payroll or a health benefit plan.

>   - set up strict filtering rules for your guest interfaces;

Do you have recommendations?

>   - set up ingress firewall rules for your guest interfaces;

I currently run with firewalls only at the edges. I found deploying the bcp38
package internally on every router to ultimately cause breakage when
something changed, and the sanest
thing to do in ipv6-land is limit what protocols you run in the first
place (it's almost entirely
"just ssh" now, and I may kill snmp off too). I probably will push the
basic ipset or route based bogon filter
out to the APs this time around (no 10, 169, 192)

firewalling dynamic ipv6 is nearly an impossible task.

I already talked about filtering out public ipv4 in this message.

This is all a good topic for a bcp.

>   - allow anyone to associate on the guest interfaces.

Although babel will be available on several bridged devices I do plan
to secure it
via hmac in the long run. Until then, security through obscurity. Very
few people
walk onto the campus with attack tools in hand, and there's so many other basic
attacks (arp spoofing, ra spoofing, etc, etc) that it is kind of pointless.

The basic goal, though, is when exposing a private network at all to a
larger interconnected
mesh outside the campus, is to keep those vulnerabilities at a minimum.

Physical security is hard, even with a glock.

> To restate -- there is no way in Babel currently to have end-to-end
> signatures on route announcements.  Doing that properly is difficult,
> and as far as I'm aware nobody is working on it.

yep. The core thing that I somehow wanted was to make available a
source specific addr/60
to share with other folk, while forcing other attempts at my address
space out through
the regular internet. I believe that is possible (with or without
hmac) at this point....

> -- Juliusz

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com