[Babel-users] Ability to work with massive number of routes? (global full-table)

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Sat Sep 22 09:49:46 BST 2018

> One of my environments uses BGP full-table from 3 upstream ISPs (each
> with 785k routes currently).

Well, that's a lot.  BGP is designed with that in mind -- it uses
incremental updates layered over a reliable protocol, and therefore scales
beautifully in a stable network.  Babel uses unreliable updates, on the
assumption that it is used in an unstable network.

I don't think that Babel is the right tool for dealing with such large
numbers of routes.

> And here are the things Babel currently lacks:
> - Capability of handling 785k × 3 routes
> - An extension to preserve AS Path

It really looks like you want BGP.  Why don't we work together on adding
SADR to BGP?