[Babel-users] Babeld vs. BIRD [was: Please test master]

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 13:32:02 BST 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 2:52 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:

> Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Thank you very much toke!
> >
> > Thus far the bird version is interoperating with 1.8.3 and the other 6
> > babel versions I have deployed, ipv4 and ipv6 just fine. I don't get
> > source specific of course
>
> I've lost track of where that repo is, but if you find a version of
> babeld that speaks the new source-specific protocol, bird should
> interoperate just fine with that :)

All up testing of all the new ietf features would be preferable as
it's a small matter of upgrading my entire deployment to speak the new
SS version.

I may try to upgrade at least the core routers to openwrt 18.06.1 this
month, so it would be more feasible to patch in the latest babeld or
switch to bird. Memory use (after I injected 16000 routes with the
usual horrific results) is actually better for bird than babeld, at
least on x86_64:

          VSZ    RSS
 babeld: 19976 12004
 bird: 15156 10200