[Babel-users] late hellos

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 17:27:44 BST 2018

I used to have a patch to update_neighbour that logged late hellos.
The new update_neighbor code in 1.8.3,
well, in a half hour of staring at it I didn't figure out a good place
to stick this. But it was a useful patch
to have. you can't fix what you can't measure.

It looked like:

            } else if(missed_hellos < 0) {
                if(hello_interval > neigh->hello_interval) {
                    /* This neighbour has increased its hello interval,
                       and we didn't notice. */
                    neigh->reach <<= -missed_hellos;
                    missed_hellos = 0;
                } else {
                    /* Late hello. Probably due to the link layer buffering
                       packets during a link outage or overload. Ignore it, but
                       reset the expected seqno. */
                    /* FIXME: An overbuffered neighbor should get its metric
                              bumped up so someone else can take the load off.
                              This msg should also print the delay here. */
                        fprintf(stderr,
                        "Late hello: bufferbloated neighbor %s\n",
                        format_address(neigh->address));
                    neigh->hello_seqno = hello;
                    hello = -1;
                    missed_hellos = 0;