[Babel-users] late hellos

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:31:58 BST 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 9:09 AM Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at irif.fr> wrote:

> > I used to have a patch to update_neighbour that logged late hellos.  The
> > new update_neighbor code in 1.8.3, well, in a half hour of staring at it
> > I didn't figure out a good place to stick this. But it was a useful
> > patch to have. you can't fix what you can't measure.
>
> Try the "missed_hellos < 0" case in the second branch of the else.

thx.

> >                     /* FIXME: An overbuffered neighbor should get its metric
> >                               bumped up so someone else can take the load off.
> >                               This msg should also print the delay here. */
>
> That should not be necessary, at least in the wireless case.  We've
> already discarded the missed hellos, so the link cost should have
> increased already.

Two things that I'm not sure I'm achieving are: that an overburdened
router, late hellos and all, still has connectivity, so I don't want
it to fall off the network.

Same goes for putting in a response (one day) to ecn CE for inflating
the metric - it's just overburdened, so yes, increase the cost in the
hope some other router can take the load,
but it's still on the network. My core links can get really
overburdened during "netflix time" but are currently not very
redundant.

> -- Juliusz

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com