[Babel-users] althea presentation on isp in a box at nanog 76

Justin Kilpatrick justin at altheamesh.com
Fri Jun 21 19:46:47 BST 2019

> Hmm... does HMAC alleviate the need for the bottom layer?
>
>   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-babel-hmac
>
> (It's implemented, but not merged yet -- I've got two students working on
> making it mergeable.)

HMAC would resolve the need for the bottom layer. There are advantages to being able to share keys between the layers though. Not sure I would want to give up on Wireguard especially since we're so dependent on it for performance. All this encryption on little passively cooled processors is a real challenge.

> It's also only designed to work with link-local addresses, I'm not sure
> how much work it would be to get it work over global addresses.

Link local is fine. The big kicker for Wireguard is uniqueness.

--
  Justin Kilpatrick
  justin at altheamesh.com